Thursday, 9 June 2011

What's Going on...

Been very busy.  Have just started a new job which is brilliant but scary working for designer, BF.  I was so nervous on my first day.  I am still in my old job working in textile conservation too.  Gotta pay for the PhD which out of all my work is the most important to me. I will be stepping into the world of working in contemporary fashion design.  I think this will be good for me as it would be so comfortable for me to stay with researching the old stuff.  I love historic dress, it's my passion but as this PhD is about creating a link between historical refashioning techniques and contemporary sustainable design it will be very useful for me to have one foot in the 'now' too.

 I do feel behind but spent some time very useful time writing  'My Research Story'.  It was designed to help me clarify exactly where am going with the research and the literature I am reading.  Fortunately, it didn't have to be an academic piece of writing just an exercise to help me move forward.  Highly recommended to anyone who may be feeling is a little stuck at the beginning of their research.

For the last few weeks, I have been thinking a great deal about presentations and just how to refine my technique (I don't have one really) to be able to get across my research with going on for too long and boring people.  It's a fine line to tread.  As well, I have been trying to refine a style for design illustration.  A kind of signature look.  I can't quite get it.  I love the illustrations on 1970s commercial pattern covers/envelopes but it's a quite a precise way a drawing that doesn't come naturally to me.

Last night I went to Rebecca Earley (Textiles Environment Design, Chelsea School of Art and Design) and Kate Goldsworthy talk on their work.  It was interesting to hear about polyester and how it can be recycled over and over again without losing any of original texture and durability.  The both showed beautiful examples of made of recycled polyester.





No comments:

Post a Comment